Saturday, May 1, 2010

Famous Last Words

Since we moved into our house in October I've been begging Matt to put up the hammock. FINALLY this last week we began working on it. The first night we set it all up to find out that the post wasnt buried deep enough. So on Wednesday he digs it up and buried it deeper and setting it with concrete. Thursday night I finally got to lay in my hammock for the first time since my dad gave it to me. I was so excited. We have only one big tree that we could hang it on so it got hung about 4 feet away from my upper deck out back. Fast forward to this afternoon.... I went upstairs to my office to make some changes to my schedule for next week. Appearantly while I was doing that Evil Knievel and Junior here decided to add some excitement to our day. Car went first. He climbed up onto the banister of our upper deck and jumped with everything in him. Unfortunately (in his opinion), his little legs didnt quite do the trick because he landed just short of the hammock. So what happens next..... Oh yes! My 75 pound 10 year old climbs up there and jumps. I guess his aim is a bit better because he landed right in the middle of the hammock. What they didnt account for was the fact that that pole was not coming out of the ground. Instead it snapped right in two. When that top piece broke loose it came swinging at Hamster's head. Now remember... the wonderful mom that I am had no idea that any of this was going on until Ham came running up the stairs gushing blood on everything in his path and screaming. I grab a towel and apply pressure to try and stop the bleeding. I tend to be a lot more 'go with the flow' than any of my kids. At this point all three of them are screaming and crying even though Ham is the only one that is hurt here. Then I realized that he keeps saying "I'm going to die! I'm going to die!". Being the less dramatic of the group at the moment I say "Don't be so dramatic. You are hardly going to die from a little cut on your head." I have to say that I never expected the response that I got. He looked at me with the most serious freaked out face he could manage and said "No mom. Dad is gonna kill me when he finds out I broke that hammock". Poor kid. His head is gushing blood everywhere and he's worried about getting in trouble. Now he did get in trouble but it wasn't until after he got his head stapled & the tylenol kicked in. Matt was pretty ticked that the hammock was broken. But he admited that it's something he probably would have done as a kid if the opportunity had been there. Guess I wont be spending many hours laying in the hammock after all. Maybe we'll try again in about 10 years.

No comments: