Monday, May 3, 2010

Friend or Foe

We bought a house that has plants everywhere. All the way around the house there are flower beds. I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to flowers/plants vs. weeds. I really dont know how that happened either. Both of my parents garden. My aunt has a greenhouse. My grandparents have always done veggie gardens. Somehow it just skipped over me. Anyway... back to the point here. I am trying to keep up with what the previous owners got started but I dont know what to pull and what to leave. And some I just want to know what they are. Soooo. I've taken pictures of everything and will be posting them with a number. What I'm asking you to do is tell me what they are and if I should pull it or trim it or just let it be.

1                                                        2      
3                                                       4

5                                                      6

2 comments:

Unknown said...

1 & 5. look like iris. No matter they're both bulbs so once the blooms die just cut the stems off at ground level and in the fall cut all the foliage back and they'll rebloom in spring! 2 & 6 look like some kind of phlox or ground covering. It's perennial so cut it back to the ground level after fall & it'll come back in spring.

We are in the EXACT same situation... the lady before me was a major gardener and I'm still overwhelmed. We have roses, clematis, iris, daisies, peonies, phlox, tulips, and the list goes on and on and on. I still don't know what half of them are! I got a book from the library I have to pick up today so maybe if I learn something I'll let ya know!

Aimee said...

You are awesome! In case you didnt know it. 1 & 5 have since died and look horrible. I've been wondering if it's ok to cut them back. Now I know. My dad is stalking one of the bushes (#4) so Im convinced that one wont be a problem much longer. Im sure it will look wonderful in his yard.