Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tomorrow is the first day of school. I'll ship the youngest two off to public school and begin this journey with my oldest called homeschooling. I have researched. I have bargain hunted. I have pieced together a curriculum that I think is perfect for him. He'll be doing 2 grades at once. I know it sounds insane. What that really means is that just over half way through his 3rd grade year in school is when my grandma died. That loss was more than his nine year old soul could bear. He shut down completely and began turning in completely blank pieces of paper with his name at the top. So.... we'll be wrapping up that last little bit of 3rd grade he missed out on while also starting on 4th grade material. If something is super easy for him then we'll move on. If he has a hard time understanding then we'll take it slow. That's the cool thing about homeschooling. It's about going at his pace. Oh yeah ~ and the fact that he will not get away with turning in empty papers to this teacher. It also helps that the principal of this school lives with us.

Since school starts on a Thursday this year we will spend the first two days getting everything organized. We have an office to set up. A scientist to choose. A book report book to choose. A library to raid. Dishes to wash. For Home Economics class that is. Hmmmm. I wonder how I can fit him mowing the lawn into the lesson plan. Anyhoo~ we are going to be busy folks around here. By Monday we should be up and running.

Love,
Mrs. Mom